[NHCOLL-L:36] Re: dermestids

David L Dyer ddyer at selway.umt.edu
Thu Mar 18 12:59:27 EST 1999

Research has shown that a temperature of -20 degrees C for at least 48
hours will kill all life stages of most pests (Florian, M.E. 1986.
"The Freezing Process - Effects on Insects and Artifact Materials"
Leather Conservation News, 3(1):1-9). However, I have found that some
dermestids will survive at 48 hours so we now routinely freeze for 72
hours, and have found this to work well. Also, to be effective the insects
must not be allowed to acclimate. Thus specimens should not be stored in
any cool environment prior to freezing. The rate of cooling should be
rapid, so allow adequate air circulation around objects; avoid thick
stacks of specimens. Be sure to place specimens in a sealed, polyethylene
bag with as much air removed as possible. This will prevent condensation
on the objects after removal from the freezer. Then, the specimens
should remain in the bag until they have returned to room temperature.
Slow thawing will also help by causing maximum damage to insect pests.
Hope this helps!

Dave

David Dyer, Curator
University of Montana Zoological Museum