[NHCOLL-L:39] slide restoration

birger=neuhaus at rz.hu-berlin.de birger=neuhaus at rz.hu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 22 14:26:39 EST 1999

Dear colleagues,

reviewing my slide collection of "worms" up to 150 years old I realized
that an increasing number of slides suffers from different problems:

1. The coverslips of slides some 50-100 years old have disconnected from
the embedded whole mount. Is somebody aware what kind of embedding medium
was used commonly at that time in Germany, Europe, or the USA? Is it
possible to identify the embedding medium in one way or another easily?
2. The embedding medium (might be canada balsam) has withdrawn from around
the specimen leaving the specimen in a cavity. Is there any possibility to
re-embed specimens?
3. Slides from the rotifer collection of Charles Rousselet (slides made
around 1910) show white precipitations in the periphery of the sealed
coverslip. The embedding medium is glass-clear and not yellowish as in
other material from that time.
4. Slides occasionally break apart, and we try to glue together major parts
with a glass-clear 2-component epoxid resin (Henkel: Pattex Kraft-Mix).
5. Which embedding medium/procedure would you recommend for permanent
slides of fresh specimens of a) Crustacea and b) "worms" such as Polychaeta
or Nematoda? Sealed paraffin-glycerin mounts as commonly used for nematodes
probably require regular (yearly?) inspection intervals to check the
quality of the slides?

I have looked through several books on the preservation of natural history
collections, but did not find hints to how to solve problems as mentioned
above. I would greatly appreciate your comments, suggestions, hints to
published references, ...

Birger Neuhaus

Dr. Birger Neuhaus
Museum fuer Naturkunde