[NHCOLL-L:333] Ordrer Mantoptera, Empusa pennata.... Seeking Film or video Images for the French Television

scott magic srawdin at magic.fr
Wed Nov 17 08:27:40 EST 1999

Dear Entomologists and Amateurs (like myself),

We are now searching scientific film or video images of Empusa pennata, a close relative to the mantids for our TV program on French TV.

If you have or know of where we could find images of them molting, mating, eating, sleeping, frolicking.... well, we'd LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE to contact YOU !

I am sorry, I do not know the common name in english - if you do, I would love to learn as I only was able to find Empusa in the encyclopedias.

I have a small picture which I can send if you are interested. He's a cute fellow !
And not at all as cannibalistic as his cousin the "praying mantis". No,  he
doesn't eat more than a fly a day, doesn't eat his friends or siblings,
CERTAINLY she does NOT eat him after copulation.... He dies of old age,
falling to the ground and then slowly wastes away... But, they sure do LOOK nasty ! ... In french they are calle Diablotin !

Thanks alot for your help,

a bientot,

Scott Rawdin