[NHCOLL-L:266] molluscan periostracum

Charles Sturm csturmjr+ at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 6 19:23:32 EDT 1999

I was wondering if any museums that have collections of Unionids
(freshwater bivalves) routinely treat the shells to help preserve the
periostracum.  I know that the museum at Ohio State University does.  They
treat by dipping into a solution of parafin dissolved in xylene.  Is
anyone else using a routine like this or some other one?  Thanks for the
input.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine

csturmjr at pitt.edu