[NHCOLL-L:277] Re: corrosive effects of dichlorvos (Vapona)

Christopher A. Norris norris at amnh.org
Fri Oct 8 15:21:33 EDT 1999

Hi, John - good to hear from you

I probably should have been a bit clearer in the first message, but we are
in the process of introducing an IPM scheme. Previously the fumigation has
been done more-or-less in isolation, but it's now being combined with
measures to deal with structural deficiencies in the building, new
cabinets, tightened procedures for treating incoming and outgoing loans. I
agree with you wholeheartedly - there's no point in tinkering with chemical
control unless other issues have also been addressed.

I should stress that we do aim to reduce chemical useage to the bare
mimimum, but I'm worried that it may take some time to get other aspects of
the plan in place, particularly the replacement of our less-than-perfect
cabinetry. How do I stop my collections being eaten in the meantime?
Currently we're using Vapona and we're thinking of moving to naphthalene,
but I'm concerned about the deleterious effects of the former and the
efficacy of the latter.

I hope this clarifies things. And thank you to you and everyone else for
all the references sent.

Best wishes, Chris

Dr Chris Norris
Department of Mammalogy