[NHCOLL-L:293] RE: Valuation, and security, of specimens

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Fri Oct 22 07:48:35 EDT 1999

Peter et.al.

I have a question in a different direction, relating to the auction of
mounted animals mentioned.

We have a number of old mounts that are non-Ohio, and hence outside of our
interests (years ago we had no focus in our collections).  We managed to
trade/give a number away to other museum, but still have a number left.
Several of these are downright mangy, but a few are decent looking mounts.
We decided that although they were unprotected species we would not offer
them at public auction, because they have been (as most old specimens were)
treated with arsenic.  We reasoned that museum professionals can appropriate
deal with arsenic, but did not feel comfortable offering them to the public.
Even if we identified them as treated with arsenic we did not like a "buyer
beware" approach.  It makes me wonder about those specimens listed in the ad
you sited.  Any thoughts from other folks on this?

Bob Glotzhober

Robert C. Glotzhober
Curator, Natural History
Ohio Historical Society		Phone:  614/ 297-2633
1982 Velma Avenue			Fax:      614/ 297-2628
Columbus, Ohio  43211-2497		e-mail:
bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org

Visit the Web Site for the Ohio Historical Society.
	http://www.ohiohistory.org/
Visit the Web Site for the Ohio Odonata (Dragonfly) Survey (project
coordinator & newsletter editor).
	http://mcnet.marietta.edu/~odonata/index.html