[NHCOLL-L:546] RE: Virus warning about e-mail to this group

Boylan P P.Boylan at city.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 12:39:41 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Roberta Faul-Zeitler wrote:

+++++ [CLIP] +++++

> The other option is to eliminate attachments altogether -- less attractive,
> but less costly than the time and repair expense if a virus leaks through
> and attacks your network (spoken from unfortunate experience).

I'm all in favour of a "no attachments" policy.

There's been so much trouble with these over the last year or so,
especially with Microsoft-specific macro viruses, that many UK academic
institution firewalls now routinely block the majority of attachments
anyway, leaving the recipient with the choice between either wondering
what they have missed, or having to send a special request back to the
sender asking for the file to be re-transmitted in "clear".

Patrick J. Boylan
City University, London,