[NHCOLL-L:800] Re: FW: "best practice"

Peter Rauch anamaria at grinnell.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 2 09:47:59 EST 2000

I do agree with Robin's sense that there are shades of meaning (and
emotions) to the terms being discussed, and that those variations in
intent and emphasis can be confusing while at the same time they can be
useful.  But...

Thanks to all who create and adopt useful "standards"!

None of the other terms (guidelines, best practices, procedures,
protocols, policies, etc) offer the _community_ an agreed-upon minimum
of conformance/uniformity/level/measure across the community to which
it is intended to be applicable (and useful). (Those other terms do
have their places; they do not substitute for "standards".)

These days, with our collective experience in diverse fields such as
informatics' RFCs (among other important standards), national building
plumbing and electrical codes (standards), and bicycles with exactly
two wheels, there is no reason for anyone's hackles to be raised.

The place for (really well-done) standards is abundantly established
and clearly beneficial to those who want to play in the same sandbox.
Peter