[NHCOLL-L:400] Re: (no subject)

Steve Halford halford at sfu.ca
Wed Jan 19 18:00:18 EST 2000

Was it all the jars this happened in, or just the ones that had contained
formalin?

I had this happen to me a couple of times when transferring our invert
collection from 10% formalin to 70% EtOH.  I assumed it was
paraformaldehyde formation.  It didn't happen frequently enough (twice in
1000+ specimens) to be a problem or to see any particular cause -- I just
tipped out the cloudy alcohol and replaced it. If you're really concerned
about wasting EtOH you *could* try filtering it, but really you should be
thinking about 2-3 changes of alcohol to flush out the formalin anyway.

BTW, wouldn't it be simpler to make up carboys of 70% EtOH and do the
transfer in a single operation?
HTH

Steve (halford at sfu.ca)
Museum Technician