[NHCOLL-L:610] RE: fog machine ingredient

Steve Bull sbull at el.net
Thu Jun 15 16:45:33 EDT 2000

Don't do it. Don't use the fog machine unless you can live with residue
that will be created on all surfaces. Protect the health of the exhibitors
by exhausting the exhibit room frequently.

There are several different kinds of fog machines:

One of them basically produces a smokey airborne mist (and residue) by
dripping chemical on a very hot surface and blowing the resulting "smoke"
out the end of a tube. I think that is the kind that you're intending to
use. Check with the manufacturer of the machine. Perhaps they can provide
some advice on clean up.

Another kind of fog machine that is much more friendly to humans, and I
imagine exhibits, involves venting compressed inert nitrogen gas into the
surface of a pool of mineral oil producing millions of nitrogen filled
micro-balloons. This is terrific fog, but a little more expensive. It is
claimed to have a certain laxative effect with prolonged breathing and
coats all surfaces with a thin covering of mineral oil.

I recommend consulting with an IA Properties Master through the film unions
in Hollywood or New York. They know the real story. I've just used various
kinds of special effects smoke in numerous television commercials and music
video productions.

Good luck,

Steve Bull,
www.digitalgeppetto.com and www.dga.org