[NHCOLL-L:623] Re: Long term effect of compactus storage onwet specimens

John E. Simmons jsimmons at eagle.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Jun 20 11:34:11 EDT 2000

Robin,
We opted not to use the electric system for several reasons.  Electrical systems
have more moving parts to break, they are more difficult to open when the system
is down (and our institution is famous for saving money by not having
maintenance contracts), we can control the smoothness of stops and starts better
by training people to use the manual system, and electrical systems have the
potential to produce sparks.  As ethanol fumes accumulate at floor level, using
a mechanical system is a bit safer.

As for the issue of the fluid on the gaskets, this was considered.  When we had
the collection sitting on stationary shelving, we had gasket problems.  Every
time a jar is moved, the gaskets get wet, not to mention, while they sit on the
shelf, there is an alcohol atmosphere above the fluid that affects the gasket
(we know this from evaporation studies).  So whatever movement you get from the
compactors probably is not a signficant increase for gasket problems.

At any rate, the solution to this problem is to use screw-top jars without
rubber or synthetic rubber gaskets, a solution we hope to implement here in a
few years (once we find the funds to replace 25,000+ glass top jars!).

--John