[NHCOLL-L:717] Shipment of Dangerous Goods

Sendall, Kelly KSendall at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca
Thu Sep 14 13:54:35 EDT 2000

In regards to the recent mini-thread on the shipment of HazMat with museum
specimens, I have had some thoughts on the subject recently.

Every year I have to upgrade my Transport of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
certificate according to the regulations set out by the International Air
Transport Association (IATA). The regulations to ship DG's are very
complicated and cover virtually every facet of transporting dangerous goods.
They are international and supercede any national regulations.

Museums for the most part ship alcohol or formalin with preserved specimens
all over the world. Getting a shipment to some countries can be very
frustrating when the shipment to be sent is classed as dangerous goods. For
years I diligently abided by the IATA regs but have changed my practice
recently. The amount of alcohol I usually sent was minimal and could either
be classed as an "Excepted Quantities" or "Limited Quantities" shipment. If
designated as "Excepted Quantities", the package did not require a Shippers
Declaration Form. A particular decal was all that was required with some
details and a signature. If classed as "Limited Quantity" the regulations
are a little more lenient too.

Thomas Labedz at the University of Nebraska State Museum should realize that
unless your colleagues are certified by a so called IATA/TDG instructor,
they can not validate shipments of dangerous goods. You can however train
them to pack shipments according to the IATA regulations and have the
shipper for the institution certified to sign the declaration forms et
cetera.

Doug Yanega at the University of California - Riverside should realize that
as long as there is any 'pourable' alcohol et cetera in the containers he is
shipping, it is classed as TDG.

I myself have come to realize that almost everyone avoids the shipment of
dangerous goods by removing all the 'flowable' fluid. After some serious
investigation I have decided the best way to go is to wrap the critters to
be sent in cheesecloth or something similar, pour off all the alcohol and
seal the container well so that the specimens remain wet and, in essence,
preserved. I then send the shipment via courier. I try to avoid using the
postal service as it is less predictable.

Feel free to contact me if I have not been clear enough or if you would like
more information.

Sincerely,

Kelly Sendall
Collection Manager,