[NHCOLL-L:1133] Youth Programs and Fair Labor Laws

Jane MacKnight jmacknight at cincymuseum.org
Thu Aug 2 10:53:57 EDT 2001

Does anyone have experience with the Fair Labor Standards Act as it relates
to youth programs?  Specifically, we are developing a program for youth,
14-16 year olds, to work with our paleontologists.  In order to give the
youth as broad experience as possible, we want to include lab and field
activities.  As part of the program, youth will work in the lab preparing
dinosaur bones which involves chemicals.  At minimum they would work with
acetone and B-76 adhesive, but hydrochloric acid, toluene among others are
used in the lab.  Field work involves lifting, carrying, using small hand
tools and probably does not present the same concerns.  I am trying to sort
through the Fair Labor Standards Act and Ohio state laws that  limit certain
hazardous activities for youth and just what activities are prohibited.

Thanks,
Jane MacKnight
Registrar
Cincinnati Museum Center