[NHCOLL-L:1141] Freeze Dryer Pump Questions

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Tue Aug 7 10:19:02 EDT 2001

Anyone out there using a Northstar Freeze Dryer ?

We have one that we purchased in 1984.  In the last several years the vacuum
pump has been going.  Now it is for all practical purposes gone.  Parts are
no longer available.  The same pump is no longer available.  Pumps we have
seen in catalogs range from $2,000 to $5,000.  I am trying to reach the rep.
from the pump company -- but would like some input from a "neutral" source
in addition to the pump manufacturer.  If a $2,000 pump works-- no need to
buy a $5,000.  On the other hand .....
Of course, for those that don't know -- Northstar has been out of business
for several years, so I cannot get specs from them as to what works with
their machine.

The vacuum pump is a Leybold Co. Trivac, Dual-stage rotary vane pump,  model
D30A.  According to Northstar spec, it should run the system at 200 microns
of pressure.  Our Northstar unit is model L-3666 which has a specimen
chamber  roughly 3 feet diameter by 5 feet long, and a condensing chamber
(not measured) about 10 inches x 30 inches long.

If any of you can recommend a source of a compatible new vacuum pump, and
help me determine what is compatible, it would be deeply appreciated.