[NHCOLL-L:1168] RE: gloves for formalin handling

Simmons, John E jsimmons at ku.edu
Mon Aug 27 10:39:12 EDT 2001

Do not use latex.  Formaldehyde penetrates latex quickly.  Buy your gloves
from a reputable company such as Fisher or Lab Safety Supply, which has a
listing of glove materials and which chemicals they are resistant to, or use
such a chart to identify the glove manufacturer so you can purchase them
from another distributor.

In our lab, we use Nitrile gloves.  These come in a thin, short-lived glove
(I believe good for about 8 hr exposure) and a much thicker, longer-lived
glove.

--John

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum
and
Coordinator, Historical Administration and Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7561