[NHCOLL-L:883] RE: Know what we need?

Andy Bentley ABentley at ku.edu
Wed Feb 7 13:45:18 EST 2001

Hi there

Hallelujah!!!  There I said it.  This is a very frustrating part of a
collection managers repertoire I am sure most will agree.  It seems as if
curators are oblivious to the legalities of these sorts of things.

But as with most things one needs to start somewhere.  I think one needs to
start small and get collection managers to educate the curators in their
museums and then those that they have dealings with.  A book isn't required,
just a protocol which can be distributed to inform them of the way things
should be done.  This should also be incorporated into webpages where loan,
voucher and exchange protocols are publicised and available.  Anyone willing
to put together a strawdog type document (or has one already) that we could
all add to and refine and then use would be doing us all a huge favour.  Any
takers??

Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas