[NHCOLL-L:913] Re: Use of Fluid Collections with Elementary Students

Judith Price JPRICE at mus-nature.ca
Wed Feb 28 08:53:29 EST 2001

Jody, I agree that not using formalin would be great, but  preservation of eggs is not my field, so I can't comment on alternatives.

You might want to try thick plastic bag stock closed with a heat-sealer.  If you adjust the temperature on the sealer correctly, then put three parallel seals across each end of the package, you would have a safer option than jars, and better visibility to boot.  This can be done with minimal fluid inside as there is good surface contact all round the eggs. You could even do a second envelope to double your safety factor, but do still keep a close eye on your audience as they handle the specimen.

But if someone suggests a better preservative I'm all for it!

Judith

(Ms) Judith C. Price
Secretary, Canadian Society of Zoologists
Assistant Collection Manager, Invertebrates
Canadian Museum of Nature
P.O. Box 3443, Station D
Ottawa, ON  K1P 6P4
jprice at mus-nature.ca
tel. 613 566-4263
fax 613 364-4027

Please visit us at http://www.nature.ca

>>> Bill & Jody Ullmann <wullmann at erols.com> 27-Feb-01 9:18:38 PM >>>
The best fixative and preservative for
eggs is formalin, but there is some concern at the museum about the
safety of passing around jars of eggs in formalin.