[NHCOLL-L:933] Re: Starch pellets

Gretchen Anderson gretcha at smm.org
Wed Mar 7 10:22:30 EST 2001

Rich,
Thanks for spreading the word!  I have always suspected this and argued
with the
manufacturer about it.  An additional problem with these type of
"peanuts" is
that they harden with in 3 to 6 months time, losing all cushioning
properties.
They may be good for the envinronment but to be avoided at all costs for
use
with collections!

If any one is looking for a quick and easy packing method for shipping,
try
using regular styrofoam peanuts "captured" in plastic (polyethelene)
bags with
the extra air squeezed out and sealed.  This encapsulates the peanuts
eliminating static and mess.  The peanut pillow can be molded around an
object.
It can also be used and reused as filler in a box.  They are very
flexible.  We
found them invaluable during our recent collections move.  If any one
wants more
information please contact me.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator