[NHCOLL-L:971] preserving Araucaria cones

Chris.Ecroyd at ForestResearch.co.nz Chris.Ecroyd at ForestResearch.co.nz
Sun Mar 25 17:50:52 EST 2001

I am very interested in any suggestions on how to prevent Araucaria
bidwilli cones from disintegrating.  I have tried soaking them in
alcohol/50% glycerol and I have tried drying them.  I have had very good
results with the alcohol/50% glycerol method on other cones especially
Abies & Agathis but not Araucaria cones.  Would freeze-drying work?

Chris Ecroyd
Herbarium Curator
Forest Research
Rotorua