[NHCOLL-L:1789] Liquid nitrogen field collections and materials used

Alexandra M. Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Wed Dec 11 13:04:41 EST 2002

I am trying to come up with materials that can be used in the field to
collect whole fishes (small) for tissue subsampling.  These materials must
hold up in liquid nitrogen.

Currently, I am testing the Tyvek 1422A, the light weight variety, for bags
and the Uniball Deluxe pen or Sanford "Sharpie Industrial" inks for the
outside info.  The idea is to write the info on the Tyvek bag (the sides
sealed with a heat sealer we use for 4 mil bags), place the whole fish in
the bag and secure the top (some how).  Then it all goes into the liquid
nitrogen bath.

Normally, I receive these collections in tinfoil packets.   The researcher
attempts to write the field number on the outside of the tinfoil packet
using a pen.  This is not always successful and, since I cannot convince
anyone to use internal labels, I need to come up with something that will
be "permanent" or at least permanent enough for me to retrieve the
information (field number) when pulling the fishes from the liquid
nitrogen.

I am looking for more ideas or advice on materials for whole specimen field
collections that are put into liquid nitrogen and how to secure field data
to these collections.  I could also use some advice on a good pen that will
write on the plastic nunc tubes and hold up in the liquid nitrogen.  The
thicker nibs are problematic and the Sharpie Industrial has not passed my
tests.  Again, the researchers will not put a backup label inside the nunc
tube with the tissue leaving me to second guess the handwriting or the
faded pen ink.

Thank you for your attention to this question.

Lex
Alexandra M. Snyder, Collection Manager
Division of Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology