[NHCOLL-L:1647] herbarium labels

Tonya Haff thaff at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Jul 3 17:17:29 EDT 2002

Hello all,

About a month or so ago there was a thread regarding specimen labels
in ethanol. I have a similar question regarding herbarium labels.

When I print labels using archival paper on my laser printer, I
notice that the print will flake off if the paper is bent or handled
a lot.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this?  A reference book
("The Herbarium Handbook" edited by Bridson and Forman) suggested
making photocopies of labels if archival ink was not available.
However, I am unclear on if they are recommending photocopying onto
archival paper and using that for the labels, or photocopying to have
a backup in case the labels deteriorate. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tonya
--
Tonya M. Haff