[NHCOLL-L:1628] reef preservation?

museum.bamz museum.bamz at mail.ibl.bm
Mon Jun 24 17:21:50 EDT 2002

We want to harvest a small living coral reef (less than 1 foot
diameter and 2 feet tall) and preserve it as a dry specimen,
retaining its colours as though alive. The dried reef will be a
permanent museum exhibit.

Does anyone have any experience doing this and/or suggestions of
materials and procedures of how this might be done? Or can you
suggest someone who might know that I can contact?

The following references have been consulted:
Taxidermy and Museum Exhibition, Rowley 1925
The Preservation of Natural History Specimens, Wagstaffe and Fidler 1955
Invertebrate Animals Collection and Preservation, Lincoln and Sheals 1979
Collecting and Preserving Plants and Animals, Knudsen 1972
Biological Museum Methods, Hangay and Dingley 1985

Any help you can give will be much appreciated,
Lisa Greene,
Collections Manager,
Bermuda Museum of Natural History.

--