[NHCOLL-L:1512] Re: mold on mounted specimens

Sally Shelton Shelton.Sally at NMNH.SI.EDU
Tue Mar 5 09:36:41 EST 2002

Forwarded from RCAAM. Please reply to the original sender, who is copied on this mailing.

>>> Pfotenhauer_LC at CO.BROWN.WI.US 5:26:03 PM Monday, March 04, 2002 >>>
Hi List,  I'm wondering if anyone has experienced mold problems on their
mounted (taxidermied) specimens?

We have four mounted beavers on exhibit, one of which has been identified as
the source of high mold levels in the air near the exhibit.  Our safety
personnel claim it is because the beaver is so old, 1910s, that it is
molding from the inside and nearly all mounted specimens do that.  They are
recommending that we dispose of all the beavers in the exhibit.

I welcome any comments re this issue.  Thanks.

Louise Pfotenhauer
Curator of Collections
Neville Public Museum of Brown County
210 Museum Place