[NHCOLL-L:1532] compactors over linoleum?

Jean Woods jwoods at delmnh.org
Mon Mar 18 16:59:28 EST 2002

Hi,
	We are investigating getting compactors installed in our Bird and
Mollusk Collections but our floor currently has linoleum on it.  We are
hesitant to take it up because the backing contains asbestos.  In its
current intact condition it presents no health hazard, but removing it would
be very expensive because of the asbestos.  In working with an company that
installs compactors we asked if we needed to remove it and were told that it
could remain.  This seemed a bit unusual to us, but their reason was that
the linoleum was very thin and that it would only compress a little under
the weight of the compactors.  We are also looking at light weight concrete
or gypcrete as the flooring between the rails and were told that this could
also be poured on top of the linoleum (although a longer curing time would
be needed).
	Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?  I am
especially interested in anyone who has actually had compactors and flooring
installed over linoleum.  If you wish to reply off-list I will be happy to
post a summary of the responses.  Thanks, Jean

Jean L. Woods, Ph.D.				Phone: 302-658-9111 x314
Curator of Birds					FAX: 302-658-2610
Delaware Museum of Natural History		jwoods at delmnh.org
4840 Kennett Pike, Box 3937			www.delmnh.org
Wilmington, DE  19807-0937  USA