[NHCOLL-L:1552] Re: : Display lighting

Steve Amos steve.amos at connriver.net
Fri Mar 29 15:38:28 EST 2002

  We have historically been using fluorescents with UV filters, but found,
even then, that there was some residual UV and defintely heat (from
ballasts, when mounted inside cases, but also even from bulbs).

Although expensive, we are now beginning to switch over all our exhibition
cases containing specimens to fiber optic lighting.

Advantages: completely cool, non-damaging light; potential to be extremely
dramatic for exhibitions; there are a variety of color filters, lens
attachments and mirrors available for lighting effects, spot lighting and/or
floods; bulb replacement is inexpensive and easy - same as slide projector,
$25+/-.

Catch: $5,000 +/- for a projector and optic cable able to illuminate
approximately 40 specimens. We have had very favorable responses from
foundations interested in funding these "conservation-minded" grants,
though. Hasn't cost us much, at all, and, visitors definitely like the
effect!

Contact me if you would like more information.

Stephen H. Amos
Curator of Collections
Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium
1302 Main Street