[NHCOLL-L:1753] Barcode labels

Rich Rabeler rabeler at umich.edu
Mon Nov 4 13:58:08 EST 2002

The University of Michigan Herbarium is now applying pre-printed numbered
barcode labels to some of our vascular plant specimens.  The labels are made
from a polypropylene stock with a matte Mylar lamination and have a
"permanent acrylic" adhesive.  While we hope that these labels will remain
attached to the specimens for many years, there is always the chance that,
for one reason or another, they will not.  It has been proposed that as a
backup, the assigned number be added directly to the sheet, quite likely
with some automatic numbering device.

Have other herbaria now involved in barcoding considered this situation?  If
so, what ideas are being used?

Thanks to any you reply!  Off-list would be fine.

Sincerely,

Rich Rabeler
Collections Manager, Vascular Plants
University of Michigan Herbarium