[NHCOLL-L:1727] Acidity

Heidi Fourie fourie.h at nfi.co.za
Mon Oct 21 08:55:39 EDT 2002

Dear everyone,

We have a problem with an acid level of 2.0 in one of our strong rooms.  It has humidity readings of between 40-44%.  Several collections are stored in there.  Mainly archival documents from the finance department dating back to the early 1900's, an alcohol herpetology collection, a mummy, a very valuable painting collection, some guns and odds and ends.
When discovering the low acidity we moved the alcohol collection out.  My main question:  What about the paintings (all original drawings with pen) and the dehydrated (sun dried) mummy in a glass case.  Should we seperate these collections all together?
Any advice will be appreciated, either privately Fourie.h at nfi.co.za or to the list.

Dr H. Fourie
Transvaal Museum, Pretoria
South Africa