[NHCOLL-L:1733] Alcohol-Preserved Collections at the Royal Ontario Museum

Ross MacCulloch rossm at rom.on.ca
Tue Oct 22 14:29:49 EDT 2002

The Royal Ontario Musum is constructing a new facility for its alcohol-preserved collections.  Contruction should be completed at the end of 2002, and collections will be moved to the new facility in early 2003.  During this time access to collections will be difficult, and so it will not be possible to make specimen loans until the collection is in its new location.

The disciplines affected by the move are primarily herpetology and ichthyology, although some mammal, bird and invertebrate collections will also be moved.

I therefore recommend that anyone who is planning to borrow alcohol-preserved specimens from the ROM should submit a loan request before year's end, and preferably ASAP.

Note that our frozen tissue collections will not be affected by this move. Although staff availability to prepare tissue loans may be reduced during the move, we'll do our best to process loan requests promptly. Further, specimens that are on loan to ROM researchers from other institutions will not be affected by this move.

Ross

Ross D. MacCulloch
Assistant Curator - Herpetology
Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queen's Park
Toronto
Ontario M5S 2C6