[NHCOLL-L:1898] Re: Threatened Collections

Roberta Faul-Zeitler faulzeitler at nscalliance.org
Thu Apr 17 12:08:39 EDT 2003

April 17, 2003

Dear NHCOLL Colleagues:

The Natural Science Collections Alliance (which has not used the name,
Association of Systematic Collections since 2001) is taking several steps to
address proposed/actual funding cuts and concerns raised by our member
institutions. This is a problem that is broader and bigger, involving both
state governments and university politics, than asking any one federal
agency for a bailout.

We invite your suggestions and input to move this beyond a listserv
discussion into a coherent strategy that will allow the community to to
cooperate on solutions:

1) The upcoming NSC Alliance conference (in Berkeley, California -- June
5-7) will feature at least three sessions in which collections-holding
institutions (museums and universities) will be able to discuss and develop
strategy for addressing 1) economic approaches to preserving collections,
collections managers, and research personnel; 2) rally together at the
closing plenary (what can NSCA do for you) with a set of "next steps" and
unifying ideas that the community can use in communicating with local,
regional and national funders, both government and private.

I encourage you to come to the conference and actually take part in the
multiple opportunities to discuss the issues and come up with an action
plan.  http://www.nscalliance.org/annual_meeting/03/register.asp

2) The Alliance is rolling out a communications toolkit this summer with a
brochure, powerpoint presentation and script for use by member institutions
in making the case for collections. There will be specific examples of how
collections are making a difference. It is designed to be flexible so your
institution can use it --along with your own materials -- to talk with
funders, public officials and university administrators. Communications
Manager Andrea Schmidt is building a web gallery of examples and "success
stories" of how collections benefit science and society. Please feel free to
send story ideas to her at: communications at nscalliance.org. Cochairs of this
project are Cliff Siegfried (New York State Museum) and Brian Boom (Columbia
University). Both are on our board and can be emailed by logging onto our
web site. The kit will be available to members and for sale to non-members
at reasonable prices.

3) We are planning some next media steps that will build on the USA Today in
seeking national coverage. Details to be shared.

4) I have proposed to our board that the Alliance should establish a
strategy and network to address collections that are threatened with
orphaning, or are actually going to be orphaned. We would welcome your
advice and input on this. It would be far better for the community to
coalesce and work together on preserving collections intact and ensuring
their intellectual-scientific value (not to mention physical care and
safety) if they must be relocated.

In good times, people get busy and don't unify because they are involved in
their work. In bad times, people become preoccupied with their internal
institutional woes, and cease having time and emotional energy to expend on
working together as a community.

We welcome your ideas, suggestions and work with the Alliance's board and
members. Please feel free to cross-post this to other listservs whose
subscribers want to help.

Best wishes, Bobbie

Roberta Faul-Zeitler
Executive Director