[NHCOLL-L:2033] Moth balls (paradichlorobenzene) in herbaria

Tom Wendt twendt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 12 11:55:11 EDT 2003

We recently received a return of loaned herbarium specimens from an
herbarium that obviously uses PDB as part of their insect-control
protocol.  This has caused a fair amount of work and bother here as
we try to allow the specimens to "off-fume" before refiling.  I was
of the impression that almost no major herbaria still use PDB (or
naphthalene, either) as a fumigant, and that it was quite discouraged
for health reasons (as well as only moderate efficacy at best).  Are
there other of you out there who use it routinely?  Any who fairly
commonly have the problem of returned material with PDB fumes?
Comments?

Thanks!  Tom

Tom Wendt, Curator                            tel. 512/471-5904
University of Texas Herbaria (TEX/LL)         fax  512/471-3878
Mailing address:
  The University of Texas at Austin
  Plant Resources Center
  1 University Station F0404    e-mail: twendt at mail.utexas.edu
  Austin, Texas 78712-0471      e-mail (herbarium):
  USA                                 aster280 at uts.cc.utexas.edu