[NHCOLL-L:1802] RE: prices for compactors

Simmons, John E jsimmons at ku.edu
Tue Jan 7 11:27:09 EST 2003

Rather than try to rely on someone else's estimates, I think you should
invite one or two companies to come look over your storage area and give you
an unofficial general estimate (or even make an official estimate if you
prefer).  The compactor business is very competitive--the major vendors will
be happy to do this for you.  It will save you a lot of headaches later!

Another approach (the one we used for a large compactor project) is to hire
an architect to work with you to write your specifications and to oversee
the bidding process.  We found the architects knowledge of materials and
layouts to be an excellent counterpoint to the information we received from
the vendors.  The architects services were worth every penny they cost.

--John

John E. Simmons
Collection Manager, Natural History Museum
and
Coordinator, Museum Studies Program
University of Kansas
Dyche Hall