[NHCOLL-L:1804] glass-topped insect drawers - earthquake risk?

Joanna Morton JoannaM at tepapa.govt.nz
Thu Jan 9 20:36:10 EST 2003

Te Papa is located in an earthquake zone, probably roughly comparable to
California. We currently store our insect specimens pined in glass-topped
drawers housed within cabinets. We are currently developing a standard for
earthquake mitigation for our natural history collections and this has
raised the issue of glass in storage furniture being a potential hazard to
collections in the event of an earthquake.

How do other institutions in earthquake zones store their insect specimens?

Has anyone evaluated this storage technique in terms of earthquake risk? One
mitigation option we are considering is specifying that the glass which is
used be laminated or able to withstand a certain level of stress. Has anyone
evaluated whether this is necessary or what type of glass would be needed?

Many thanks for any help,

Joanna Morton
Conservator, Objects
Te Papa, The Museum of New Zealand

Visit the Te Papa website http://www.tepapa.govt.nz
The email message together with the accompanying attachments may be
CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this message in error, please notify
mail at tepapa.govt.nz immediately and delete the original message. The
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender specifically states them to be views of Te Papa.
Te Papa employs strict virus checking measures and accepts no liability
for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a virus arising
from the use of this message or any attached file.