[NHCOLL-L:2000] Re: digest 801

Alexandra M. Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Mon Jul 14 13:43:44 EDT 2003

Just wanted to add  a caveat re: lid replacement in wet collections.  Be
aware that when the old lids (BakLite or metal) are removed,  there may be
detritus, rust or whatever, left on the jar threads from the old (bad)
lids.  Even if a new (archivally-correct) lid is screwed on over this
"stuff", there will not be a good seal.  Evaporation will occur.  (It is
the same senario with gaskets and bail top jars...placing new gaskets on
rim of jar caked with old gasket material will not make a good seal; just
tip the jar and it will leak.)   Even minute, seemingly innocuous bits of
dirt on jar rims will prevent good contact between jar and lid.

Frankly, when I have been faced with replacing a lot of jar lids in
neglected collections,  I found that it was simply easier (?)  to move the
collections into brand new jars with brand new lids.  Later, I would later
go through the old jars and salvage those that were not terribly encrusted
with rust or detritus (or otherwise compromised by age, like delaminating
and so forth)  and that they could be washed and easily cleaned.  However,
I have recycled or tossed out more old jars,   because they would take more
time to salvage (labor cost) than was financially prudent; it sometimes is
cheaper to buy new jars to go with the lids.

However, I have been in the position of not having enough money to buy new
jars and have expended a lot of elbow grease washing them.  Since
"necessity is the mother of invention" I have had to come up with some
tricks to save time and water, that will get the jars clean with minimal
effort.  I can pass these along, off line, for anyone faced with jar
washing.  (And there is a lot of that in curation of wet collections.)