[NHCOLL-L:2008] Source for Le Parfait captive lid jars

Alexandra M. Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Fri Jul 25 12:07:12 EDT 2003

I use Le Parfait captive lid jars (1, 2 and 3 liter sizes), extensively,
for our collection of fishes.  My current wholesale vendor,  Bormioli Rocco
Glass Company, NYC has informed me that I can no longer purchase Le Parfait
jars (the French captive lid jar), at wholesale cost, from them.  They
claim that the "government prevents them, as a wholeseller, from selling
their products to an enterprise that does not in turn sell the jars."
That is,  we are not a retailer.  All of this comes after purchasing jars
from them since 1998...and my previous vendor in San Francisco sold me the
same jars, at cost, without any such problems...too bad he got out of the
business.

I am looking for another vendor to sell me these jars, at cost.  So far all
the sources I have found are kitchenware retailers who charge double for
these jars.  For example, the 3 liter Le Parfait jar, wholesale, cost me
$4.30 each and I can only find it for almost $10 dollars each through these
other sources.  On an average, we purchase 240 of this size Le Parfait jar
per year (used primarily as a collecting jar in the field and as a vial jar
in the collection archives).  We also use 1 and 2 liter Le Parfait
jars...probably all together, about 800 to 1000 jars of this kind are
purchased.

Would appreciate any leads on wholesale sources of the jars.  Also, has
anyone else been told that they cannot purchase jars (or any other
equipment) wholesale because they are not a retail enterprise?  If this is
true, and wholesalers are enforcing this, I know that my collection's
budget will suffer greatly.

Alexandra M. Snyder, Collection Manager
Division of Fishes   MSC03 2020
Museum of Southwestern Biology