[NHCOLL-L:1945] Alcohol and snake skin

brandenburg32 at zonnet.nl brandenburg32 at zonnet.nl
Mon Jun 2 05:49:56 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I am currently working at the Museum Vrolik in Amsterdam. I am taking care of the historical collection of
specimens stored in alcohol.  Does anyone know the effect of alcohol on the skin of snakes? I have experienced
some problems with topping up the alcohol concentration. I am recently working on some jars that contain
several snakes. The alcohol level and concentration of these specimens are very low. Although I am topping up
in stages (20, 40, 60 and finally 80%), I cannot prevent some of the skin is coming loose. Does anyone notice
this problem too and are there any solutions?

thanks in advance

Oskar Brandenburg
Collection Manager
Museum Vrolik