[NHCOLL-L:1966] Shipping specimens in alcohol

dave.dyer ddyer at selway.umt.edu
Tue Jun 24 14:44:49 EDT 2003

We have eight boxes of aquatic invertebrates, left here by a retiring
faculty member, and we must ship them to another institution. Some are in
small vials while others are quart-sized jars that contain hundreds of
individuals. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience
packing and shipping this type of material. We are primarily a vertebrate
collection and have little experience with shipping fluid preserved
specimens. We contemplated draining most of the alcohol out before shipping,
but worried that it might damage antennae etc. during transport.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
   Dave

David Dyer, Curator
Zoological Museum and Herbarium