[NHCOLL-L:1972] Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Ironic Quotes from Bioscience

David Richman nmbugman at taipan.NMSU.Edu
Tue Jun 24 20:00:31 EDT 2003

Dear Doug,

Technically you are right-the NSCA is an organization representing museums
(including university museums) and the dues are steep for many
organizations. My experience is that they have been trying to represent
researchers as well as curators in regard to systematic collections. After
all what is the point of research collections if they do not involve
systematists? However, even if that point is conceeded, where are we going
to get a national organization that represents all taxonomic specialities
now that the Society of Systematic Biology has apparently gone totally
molecular?

It is necessary, in my view, to take help where we can find it (where
ever that is- otherwise we will wind up like the scholars associated with
the museum and library of Alexandria, one of which, Hypatia,  had the
flesh taken off her bones by an angry mob.

Perhaps the situation is hopeless?  Every time I turn around another
museum bites the dust. While I'm not totally happy with it, the amateurs
MAY take over simply because we won't be able to function!

Sincerely,

David B. Richman
The Arthropod Museum
New Mexico State University