[NHCOLL-L:1866] Re: Laser-printed labels

Simon Grove simon.grove at forestrytas.com.au
Wed Mar 19 23:25:44 EST 2003

I asked a similar question on this list a few months back, and concluded from the responses that it was the combination of ink and paper that was critical in determining durability.  Consequently, for all our wet collections, we've moved over to using a plastic paper called Teslin.  This is said to be resistant to acids and alkalis and is available in A4 sheets of various thicknesses that fit in a normal printer.  If you buy it in bulk, it's no more expensive than paper or parchment alternatives.  Laser printer ink bonds chemically with the plastic and is all but impossible to rub off other than by destroying the sheet itself.  Check out their web pages at  http://www.ppg.com/chm_teslin/whatsteslin/whatis.htm .

Hope this helps

Simon Grove

`'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,

Dr Simon J Grove, Conservation Biologist,
Biology and Conservation Branch,
Division of Forest Research and Development
Forestry Tasmania, GPO Box 207, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia.
Tel. 61 3 6233 8141.  Fax 61 3 6233 8292.
Email:  simon.grove at forestrytas.com.au.
Web addresses: http://www.forestrytas.com.au/
 http://www.warra.com

>>> "Krista Zala" <kzala at nhm.org> 20/03/03 12:28:17 >>>
I am interested in hearing about your trials and revelations in using
laser printed labels in ethanol or formalin preserved invertebrate
collections.  Did you use them?  Are you still using them?  Are some
papers types and inks ("toners") more durable than others?  Has anyone
quantified the durability of laser printed labels?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Regards, Krista

--
Krista Zala, Curatorial Assistant
Marine Biodiversity Processing Center
Email: kzala at nhm.org
http://www.nhm.org

This transmission is intended solely for the person
or organisation to whom it is addressed.
It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.
If you have received this transmission in error,
you may not use, copy or distribute it.
Please advise us by return e-mail or by phoning 61 3 62338203
and immediately delete the transmission in its entirety.
We will meet your reasonable expenses of notifying us.
Despite our use of anti-virus software, Forestry Tasmania cannot guarantee
that this transmission is virus-free.