[NHCOLL-L:2088] RE: Ideas for New Ledger System

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Wed Sep 24 18:31:57 EDT 2003

Databases are great tools for searching and sorting data in a rapid
manner, but I too like to have a hard copy available for several reasons:
1.  Our collections database is on a server.  Sometimes the server goes
down - as in the recent case of the SoBig virus.   We were unable to
access anything on the server for 3 days.  An unwritten law of IT is:
the server  WILL go down at the most inopportune time.
2.  I think accountability is still an issue with many databases.   Does
your database, for example, record WHO made changes to the data, when
those changes were made, and what the changes were?   Ideally, we print
out a new catalogue sheet whenever something new is added or edited and
that catalogue sheet is dated and becomes part of the object record.
We have had issues in the past where well-educated and well-informed
staff made erroneous edits.
3.  I wish we had the manpower to record absolutely everything about an
object....but we don't, so having everything on the database is out of
the question.   We don't have the manpower to digitize field notes,
images, conservation and preparation reports, publications, x-ray images
etc. etc. etc.     So....we maintain an object file with all that
"stuff" along with a catalogue sheet that is fairly detailed.
4.  Some government agencies (we're a part of state government) are
notoriously slow at keeping pace with upgrading software.   It was 6
years from our first version until we received money for the second, and
by that time we had data conversion problems as well as real training
issues.    Ever try to access your old Multimate documents?

Don't get me wrong....I'm a big fan of computers and databases, but you
just can't rid yourself of human error.   Unless you've got a
crackerjack IT team I'd be skeptical of having everything on a server.
Machines fail and they get old like the rest of us.   Are you willing or
able to suffer the downtime?   That's one of the real questions to be
asked.    I'm less concerned about losing data - although a corrupted
file at the end of a long day of data entry is not unknown - then
inaccessibility of hours or days.

Shirley Albright
Assistant Curator of Natural History
Database Administrator