[NHCOLL-L:2249] New Jersey State Museum Renovations

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Wed Apr 7 14:31:20 EDT 2004

The New Jersey State Museum will be embarking upon an extended period of
physical renovation to our main building, beginning in early September
2004.   Exhibitions in the main building are being dismantled and
collections may not be accessible for about 18 months beginning in May
2004.  The main building will close to visitation May 3, 2004.  Smaller
exhibits will continue in the museum's auditorium galleries and at 225
W. State St. (The Department of State).    Additionally, the planetarium
will remain open except for August - mid December 2004 when asbestos
remediation will take place.

We are returning objects that have been on loan to our researchers, but
if you have particular concerns about an object our staff has borrowed,
please do not hesitate to contact myself - Shirley Albright, Assistant
Curator of Natural History (609.292.6331) - or our Registrar, William
Gallagher (609. 984.0261).

New requests for outgoing loans will be suspended temporarily for a
period possibly exceeding 12-18 months.

The GOOD news is:  NJSM will reopen with a new HVAC system, new
lighting, new exhibitions and some high density compact storage for
objects!    We're very excited about all of this.

Staff will be relocated to another building in Trenton during this
period but our telephone numbers and museum address WILL  NOT change.
 For your reference, the Natural History Bureau telephone number is
609.292.6330 and our address will remain:
New Jersey State Museum
Bureau of Natural History
205 W. State Street
P.O. Box 530
Trenton, NJ  08625-0530

Wish us luck!   We're on our way to a better New Jersey State Museum!