[NHCOLL-L:2297] RE: FW: Shipping a wet specimen

Simmons, John E jsimmons at ku.edu
Mon May 24 19:28:40 EDT 2004

In order to ship the specimens in formaldehyde, you will have to comply
with hazardous materials regulations.  An alternative, one that we are
using for formaldehyde specimens, is to put the specimens in a small
amount of water instead of formaldehyde for the shipment.  The specimen
will not suffer from rehydration because the formaldehyde solution is
mostly water anyway.  You must alert the receiver that the specimens are
in water so that they can be placed in formaldehyde upon their arrival.

This solution is inappropriate for specimens preserved in alcohol,
because they will absorb water and probably be damaged by the
rehydration that occurs.

--John