[NHCOLL-L:2612] RE: Fwd: Re: Probole

White, Rich RichW at thewildlifemuseum.org
Fri Apr 1 12:18:41 EST 2005

USGS topo maps have Township, Range and Section designations on them.  I
don't think there is any quick way (ie, algorithm) to convert.  Also,
the TR designations don't correspond to "a" locality - the sections are
one square mile in extent, and old collections can have Section, quarter
section or quarter-quarter sections indicated.  A given Township and
Range includes 36 sections, and is therefore 6 miles on a side, for a
total of 36 square miles.  Note also that for some areas, T & R
designations were never formally given.

You will also find that the section lines (and therefore T and R lines)
were often "bent", and are not perfectly rectangular.  Providing
metadata guidelines for handling Township, Range and Section data on
localities is a problem.  Probably the easiest is to pick the center
point of the smallest division given (Section, quarter Section) and flag
it to indicate that this is an "area" rather than a precise location.

Rich

Richard S. White, Jr.
Director
International Wildlife Museum