[NHCOLL-L:2625] Field Collecting Legalities

Shirley S Albright shirley.albright at sos.state.nj.us
Fri Apr 15 10:24:45 EDT 2005

Hello everyone!

New Jersey is drying out from the Flood of 2005, and a Beluga whale is
still cavorting in the Delaware River by Trenton (yes...that's right, a
marine mammal in freshwater).

My question this morning involves the acquisition of natural history
objects collected by staff during fieldwork or roadkill recoveries.
Above and beyond a copy/original of any issued permit, what
documentation do you include in your accession files for such acquisitions?

For example, if a fossil is collected on private land, do you also
include either a Deed of Gift or letter of transmittal from the
landowner?    I believe this is standard procedure, but there are others
here who don't share that opinion.    I'd like to see the procedure
formalized in our Acquisition Procedures and Policies to avoid confusion
down the road.    Apparently, I'm going to need some legal citation or
consensus of opinion from other institutions to convince my colleagues.

How do you handle such things as road kill recoveries?

The other issue involves describing the inventory of the field
collection lot.   After attending a seminar back in 1991 I was under the
impression that a preliminary receipt for objects could be fairly vague
(example:  6 cartons of fossils), but that a Deed of Gift or Letter of
Transmittal had to be specific enough that an independent auditor could
clearly identify what was being donated.   In other words, one may not
have the objects firmly identified, but the institution had to indicate
the number and description of the lot's contents.

I'd appreciate your feedback on these two items.    Thanks bunches.

Shirley Albright