[NHCOLL-L:2720] Re: Collections managers question

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Jun 21 22:48:05 EDT 2005

>Ah, but here is the problem: our job descriptions did align with FLSA exempt
>status, but the description has been conveniently (or through a simple
>oversight) changed so that there is no longer any reference to research,
>science or even the handling of specimens.

That's insane. You ought to stage a walk-in protest where a group of
you bring a pile of bones, shells, pine cones, unpinned scarabs, and
other such objects (maybe even a stuffed rat), and drop them on the
desk of the HR head, and ask them: "Do those honestly look like
*documents* to you?" (and then ask if they could explain how,
exactly, someone with no scientific training would know how to file
them). It might also be time to start talking to the local media, in
case the administrators prove unresponsive.

Is there anywhere that *we* can send letters of protest?

Sincerely,

Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314