[NHCOLL-L:2727] Re: FW: Registrar vs. Collections Manager vs. Curator of Collections

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu Jun 23 13:01:01 EDT 2005

>Why not call ourselves "Biological Database Managers"  then we can
>really make the big bucks!  Some database managers are pulling down
>250K a year!

That has a nice ring to it, but I'm not sure that every Natural
History collection out there actually has an associated database
(yet). I happen to think that the title that the University of
California uses for my position - Museum Scientist - conveys more of
the correct impression than registrar, manager, *or* curator (i.e.,
it emphasizes the scientific rather than the organizational skill),
and can be much more generally applied. Nevertheless, the title is
secondary to what's actually in the job description, and THAT is the
crux of the problem at UMMZ. In deference to Barry, I'll certainly
hold off sending any nastygrams until we hear that the administrators
have been met with and still won't budge - but I'm a Noo Yawker, so I
always expect the worst. ;-)

Sincerely,

Univ. of California - Riverside, Riverside, CA 92521-0314