[NHCOLL-L:2593] Re: Herbarium database

Larry A Prather alan at msu.edu
Fri Mar 18 08:46:02 EST 2005

Hi Raney:

I'm not sure if you can get a complete picture of what is most commonly used
from this website, but there is a listing of what programs over 70 herbaria
are using, along with contact information and links to those that are online
at this url: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/botany/ncsc/type_links.htm

My suggestion would be to have your colleague check out that website and
contact people who are actually using these programs to learn the advantages
and disadvantages. It would also be a good idea to find out what other
regional herbaria are using (noting of course your "region" in Alaska will
be substantially larger than most). I know that the Museum at U of A
Fairbanks has much of their collection databased even though they are not on
the list, so contacting them directly would be a good idea. I think Alan
Batten <fnarb at aurora.uaf.edu> might be able to help.

I know that Ke Emu is a good program but it is mighty expensive and many of
us are leary of putting our valuable data in a "black box" software system
from which it might be difficult to extract the data if and when Ke goes
belly up. There are many other good programs that are free and that don't
have this problem that you should definitely consider. Here at MSU we have a
database of over 100,000 specimens in Specify and we're very pleased with
the results (going online in the next couple of weeks, we hope!). If you
want to know more about our experiences with Specify please contact me
offlist.

Best,
Alan

Alan Prather