[NHCOLL-L:2606] Fwd: Herp Trade Impacts

Dennis Paulson dpaulson at ups.edu
Wed Mar 30 12:17:05 EST 2005

Sorry for multiple posting, but I think this is essential business.
When we are in discussions about the impact of scientific collecting
on animal populations, this sort of information should be at our
fingertips. Collecting for the pet trade seems to be perfectly all
right in the eyes of most people, even though its effect is vastly
more than that of scientific collecting. The fact that each pet is
for the benefit of one person, while specimens collected for museums
are for the common good does not seem to be factored into the thought
processes of most people. These are not animals bred in captivity but
SEVERAL MILLION WILD-CAUGHT HERPS each year. I suppose the big
difference in the minds of many is that our specimens are dead, while
these are alive. Our society clearly thinks that because they are
alive, a salamander in a terrarium (or a parrot in a cage) is
equivalent to a salamander (or a parrot) in the forest, and that's
the mind set that must be questioned.

--
Dennis Paulson, Director Emeritus           phone 253-879-3798
Slater Museum of Natural History                 fax 253-879-3352