[NHCOLL-L:2608] Online access to MVZ Fieldnotes

Carla Cicero ccicero at berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 31 15:07:41 EST 2005

Hello all,

I apologize for the cross-posting if your on multiple lists. I am pleased
to announce the first phase of a project to digitize historical materials
(fieldnotes, photographs) in the collections of the Museum of Vertebrate
Zoology. This project ("Digital MVZ") is funded by the National Science
Foundation, and involves:

1) capturing metadata for MVZ's collection of archived fieldnotes (ca. 600
volumes) and photographs (ca. 14,000 historical photos)
2) scanning an important subset of the fieldnotes (ca. 100 vols) and
photographs pertaining to major pre-1950 collecting expeditions in California
3) referencing data on all pages and photographs from that subset of material.

Our data access site (http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/mvz/) now allows you to
query metadata for our fieldnotes, and to browse pages for the selected
subset of volumes (e.g., try a search for Author = "Joseph Grinnell"). This
is the first phase of making these data accessible online - photos
(metadata capture, digitization) will follow.

The next phase of this project involves developing a graphical referencing
tool for referencing data on those pages and photos, including: people,
localities and dates (i.e., "collecting events"), specimens collected,
species observed (but not collected), and additional info such as whether
the page contains a photo, annotated map, drawing, etc. Once we start
referencing the pages, we will modify the query interface to allow more
powerful searching. Eventually, the goal is to link specimens, fieldnotes,
photos, and other information and to view those records visually using the
BerkeleyMapper (http://berkeleymapper.berkeley.edu/run.php?).

Also note that we have added a query interface for our reprint collection,
also accessible from the data access site. You  can also get to the query
interfaces from our home page http://mvz.berkeley.edu/

As usual, we appreciate feedback.

Best,
Carla