[NHCOLL-L:2915] RE: Preparation of venomous snakes

White, Rich RichW at thewildlifemuseum.org
Mon Jan 9 17:28:57 EST 2006

Karen,

Yes, you do need to be very careful with venomous snakes, even with very
old, dried and prepared specimens.  I once was handling a large
collection of snakes which had been obtained from animal importers/
breeders in the 1970's.  I was catalogueing and curating the lot in 1999
or 2000, and was handling a bugged and dried skeleton of Jameson's
mamba,  Dendroaspis jamesoni.  I pricked my finger on one of the fangs,
and almost immediately began to have tingling and numbness in my hand
and arm.  I went to the hospital, where they watched me for a bit.
Fortunately, the symptoms abated fairly quikcly and they didn't have to
try to get antivenon.  But it scared me into being much more careful
with such material.

Rich

Richard S. White, Jr.
Director