[NHCOLL-L:2917] RE: Preparation of venomous snakes

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Tue Jan 10 06:47:23 EST 2006

Karen, Greg et al.:
I don't recall where I heard or read it, but there is an interesting story that I always have assumed was basically urban legend (or rural legend might be more accurate).  I believe there is a kernel of truth in it (which both of you have reflected on with the duration of toxicity of dried venom), but doubt that in reality the whole story could be true.

It seems that a cowpoke while off his horse and walking through some brush got struck at by a rattlesnake.  The snake hit his boot, but it did not penetrate the boot.  After shooting the snake (an all too real part of the story) the cowpoke walked away, relieved that he had not been bitten.  Unknown to him, however, one of the fangs broke off in the leather of his boot.  Gradually the fang worked its way inward.  When it scratched his skin, the blood dissolved some of the dried venom.  Not ever realizing he had been "bitten" (as it was some time after his experience with the snake) he never made any connection with the symptoms.  The reaction proceeded to his heart and he died.  Moreover, his grieving wife passed his boots on to their son.  Many years later his son wore his father's boots, and succumbed to the same dread end.  As I recall the story, it was finally the grandson, who scratched by boot and getting a sore foot, finally investigated the boot and figured out the entire story.

Take it for what's it worth.  While probably not a true story -- it expresses in an amusing manner the potential danger of old fangs with dried venom.  By the way -- if any of you know where this story came from -- I like to know.

Bob Glotzhober
Robert C. Glotzhober          614/  297-2633
Curator, Natural History       bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43211-2497

Visit the website of the Ohio Historical Society at:
     www.ohiohistory.org and check out our online collections catalog.
*	See or purchase Dragonflies and Damselflies of Ohio
*	or the Cedar Bog Symposium II at OHS's
*	NEW E-Store: http://www.ohiohistorystore.com/browse.cfm/2,50.html
*	Visit the Ohio Odonata Society website at: http://www.marietta.edu/~odonata/index.html